We are the company behind Challau, an interactive live streaming platform that lets you discover and virtually experience remote destinations around the world at the click of a button. Challau gives you the power to remotely control tour guides called Scouts, and explore locations as you desire in real-time. You can control the direction and motion of your Scout through an on-screen controller using your computer or smartphone, and interactively experience far away places as if you were actually there. Challau Scouts are waiting to welcome you to busy city centres, crowded markets, famous plazas, and historic monuments from around the world.
How it Works
The Challau platform is made up of three core components, Portals, Scouts and the Link Station. Portals are locations which you can explore. Scouts are remote tour guides whom you can control. The Link Station is a mechanism to let multiple users concurrently experience a Portal location in real-time as well as control the Scouts through turn-taking.
Portals represent different physical locations across the globe. You can browse through Portals and select which one you want to explore. Once you have chosen your Portal, you can Enter it when it becomes Active, without any pre-booking. Portals have a timer countdown showing when they will become Active.
We have appointed a Scout at each Portal location. The role of the Scout is to precisely follow the remote control commands being given by Challau users. You can control the Scout using your on-screen controller with commands such as ‘Go’ , ‘Stop’ ‘Turn Left’ and ‘Slight Right’. Your remote commands are transmitted to the Scout in real-time and the Scout will follow them.
When you Enter an Active Portal, you will see a first-person view from the Scout’s live video stream. If the Scout is already being controlled by another user, you will wait to take your turn to control the Scout at the ‘Link Station’. You will be kept informed of the estimated wait time for your turn and how many users are ahead of you in the queue. You will continue to see the Scout’s live video while you are waiting.
What Challau Offers
Challau is made for tourists, explorers and gamers. Our platform lets you virtually transport yourself around the world – whether it’s to learn about places, to wander, or to play real-life games remotely in another country. Challau opens up new possibilities for unique online experiences that haven’t existed before.
Observe unique people and cultures and learn about their history, architecture and fascinating traditions.
Discover more places around the world. Hop between different Portals and experience the freedom to be anywhere.
Turn your Scout into a real-life game character and go on quests, enriched by augmented reality.
Challau works on your smartphone or computer without needing to download an app or installing any software. The entire platform runs on your existing web browser through the Challau website.
We are building a robotic and automated Scout for new types of unique experiences on Challau
Get to know the people behind Challau
Founder & CEO
Muhammad Zain Khawaja
- Business, Technology & Product Lead
- MEng University of Oxford
- AI & Computer Vision Expert
- Software engineer at UK’s first driverless car start-up
- Lead technical investigator for UK Govt Funded Project on real-time sensor data communication using wireless networks
CO-FOUNDER & coo
- Leads Service Delivery & Service Operations
- BBA, MBA & CFA
- Financial Analyst at – Jardine Fleming, BOA, Merrill Lynch
- Co-Founder Market Research Start-up Versatile Research Systems, grew team to over 80, managed operations across 21 cities, secured blue-chip clients such as Nestle and Coca-Cola
Moeen Ashfaq Khawaja
- Leads Commercial & Business Operations
- BSc EE, MBA, MSc Psy
- Director EMEA Orbcomm, Director SprintPCS, OP JS Private Equity, COO Himex, Co-Founder COO IoT start-up in London
- Led numerous IoT projects funded by UK Govt and EU Horizon 2020 for connected devices
- Spearheaded development and launch world’s first mobile picture messaging service
Dr David Clarence Nam
- Leads Robotic, Autonomous & Edge Technologies
- PhD Deep Learning and Artificial Intelligence, Post-Doc at Cranfield Centre for Electronic Warfare
- Author on >15 academic papers/conference proceedings – IEEE
- Lead technical investigator for multiple Govt Funded Civilian and Military Projects